“Shovel ready” is the hot new buzzword for projects that, once congress funds them with our hard-earned tax dollars, are ready to begin.
Communication/PR/IMC professionals need “shovel-ready” projects right now, too. So here goes:
1. Update your resume and generic cover letter. In this troubled economy, you never know when you will need them.
2. Activate your professional network. If you aren’t active in IABC and/or PRSA, get active. Your professional associations are a gold mine of information, networking, and opportunity, especially in troubled times.
3. Learn all you can about economics and finance. Communication/PR/IMC professionals must know what is happening in the economy and be able to explain it to all publics and customers.
4. At work, look for every way you can be more efficient and add value to your organization. Employers need employees who are committed to and expert at helping the organization survive the economic turmoil (see number 3 above).
5. Stop spending money needlessly. Save for that proverbial rainy day because it sure is cloudy outside.
6. Retire all the debt you can, and do not add any. Be especially careful using credit cards. They will kill you.